Many parts of your body change as you get older. One example is your skin, the largest organ in the body. With age comes changes to the face, such as wrinkles, lines, and thinning skin which everyone experiences.
Maintaining a youthful appearance can be a big confidence booster for many people. Luckily there are ways to address and fix these concerns so that they do not linger while we age.
Facial fillers are not, however, a permanent solution. To sustain the effects and benefits of fillers, they need repeat treatments. We discuss different types of facial fillers and how long they last.
What Are Facial Fillers?
Facial fillers consist of synthetic or naturally occurring gel-like substances that treat various signs of aging on the face, including wrinkles, fine lines, and deep skin folds. They can also be applied to smooth out bumpy textures, such as acne scars.
Injected into the skin, they restore volume and plump the skin. But since most facial fillers are absorbable, they are temporary and can last from a few months to a few years. Because facial fillers don’t require anesthesia or incisions, just injections, they are minimally invasive and require no downtime.
Substances in Facial Fillers
The different synthetic and naturally occurring gel-like substances in facial fillers include the following:
A facial filler with calcium hydroxyapatite uses microscopic calcium particles. It is thicker in consistency than hyaluronic acid and ideal for deep wrinkles.
Hyaluronic acid is an ingredient that naturally exists within our bodies. It’s a sugar protein that attracts water and is ideal for plumping, adding volume, and hydrating the skin.
Poly-L-lactic acid is a biodegradable acid that aids the stimulation of skin collagen. It doesn’t fill the wrinkles but reduces the appearance of wrinkles and firms the skin by inducing the skin’s natural collagen production.
Longevity of Facial Fillers
All facial fillers wear off over time. Because some fillers are naturally occurring substances, they break down and get absorbed by the body. Other factors that affect the longevity of facial fillers include:
- Treatment area injected
- Amount or dosage injected
- Formulation of filler
- Filler consistency
- Individual lifestyle
The longevity of facial fillers can range from less than a year to several years. The main determining factor is the type of filler used and how the user takes care of their skin.
Longer-Lasting Facial Fillers
Three brands of facial fillers last for 1 to 2 years. These include Teoxane, Juvederm, and Restylane.
Juvederm is a facial filler that uses hyaluronic acid and is specialized for areas of the face such as lips and lines around the mouth and nose. There are various formulations of Juvederm that cater to different needs. Juvederm Voluma adds volume to the cheeks for mid-face volume loss and can last up to 2 years.
Restylane is also a hyaluronic acid-based facial filler. It’s specialized to add volume to the face, smooth wrinkles, restore skin to define features, and can last up to 2 years.
Variations in the formulation of Restylane include:
- Restylane Defyne: Used for nasal folds and marionette lines
- Restylane Refyne: Used for nasal folds and marionette lines
- Restylane Lyft: Smoothes wrinkles and adds volume
There can be mild side effects around the injection site that usually clear up within a few days:
- Skin discolouration
You Can Prolong the Effects of Facial Fillers
Fillers can’t last forever, but taking care of your skin and overall health can increase their effects. Here are some ways to prolong their effects:
- Minimize exposure to UV: Avoid sun exposure, limit the amount of time you spend during peak sun exposure, and wear SPF to extend the life of fillers. Overexposure can reduce how long they last.
- Healthy lifestyle: Maintaining a healthy lifestyle, drinking lots of water, and eating healthy foods such as fruits and vegetables, good fats, and oils can help the skin stay firmer. Unhealthy foods can lead to inflammation.
- Skincare: Caring for your skin shouldn’t stop after receiving facial fillers. Maintaining a proper skincare routine with products for your specific skin type can enhance the effects of fillers by adding moisture and hydration.
- Limit stress: Stress can affect our bodies in different ways. It can speed up the signs of aging. Hormones released during stressful periods can affect fillers. While stress isn’t always avoidable, there are ways to manage it.
- Treatment maintenance and advice: Prolonging the life of fillers includes following aftercare instructions and advice. It can also involve regular touch-ups between treatments.
Youthful Looking Skin for Longer
The long-lasting results of facial fillers make them an effective treatment option for those looking for a more youthful look. For some, it is also a way to restore self-esteem and confidence in their appearance.
If you’re considering facial fillers and unsure which type is best for your face, book an appointment with Zulu Medical Cosmetics. We can help you choose the right one based on your needs and desired results.